Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

By using software such as concept mapping, advanced graphic organizers, and note taking strategies teachers can hone in on student’s prior knowledge and use it to create connections to the material being taught. “Advance organizers help students focus their learning ((Pitler, Hubbel, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p.73).” Most students have used graphic organizers such as webs either on paper or digitally before, but to provide some of the information in the “bubbles” beforehand helps to focus the student in knowing what to take notes on. Programs such as Kidspiration, Inspiration, PowerPoint, and online wikis and blogs can help to create tools to make learning easier. Teachers should be giving verbal or visual cues to tell students what they are about to learn (Pitler et. Al, 2007, p.77), not hinting information at them to trick them; by using a simple advance graphic organizer to show the essential question for the lesson the children will know their objective and be more focused in their attention. Without knowing what the point of the lesson is, it is very difficult for students to know what parts of the lesson to pay closest attention to.

References

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom
instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. I too have found that having my students use graphic organizers helps them to learn content much better. When they can actually dissect what they are learning it helps them to retain the information at a much faster pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica,

    I liked your point of including some information in the graphic organizers for the students to work off of. I teach young students (3rd grade) and I find that concept maps are sometimes very difficult for them because they need help getting started. I try to give them random information though - not always the main ideas. I fill in nodes throughout the organizer, some detailed facts and some broader categories. Then, it becomes more of a puzzle with missing pieces as they fill it out. Also, having them work on concept maps in groups helps them to combine knowledge and learn cooperatively from their peers.

    Have you used concept maps in the past? If so, what has been your experience with them? Do you find that the students are more engaged or focused because of them? I have used them on occasion, but I'm hoping to incorporate them into every unit next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica,

    I, too, have used Inspiration and Power Point to create graphic organizers, and both are very useful tools to do this. I have also used Microsoft Word and Excel, especially when creating rubrics. I agree that it is important for students to use these graphic organizers to pull out the important information. They can also be useful when helping students prepare to write. I like how you include the essential question on your graphic organizers. That is an area that I need to get better in. I give the essential question, but I haven't created an organizer that really included the essential question within it. Excellent points here.

    Jarrod Vance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica,
    I really liked this week’s information on graphic organizers; it sounds like you have utilized them often. I on the other hand have not and I find the book’s, as well as your suggestion of coming up with an essential question as the central node. I also find it important to eliminate the “gray areas” of a lesson to ensure the important information is being absorbed. But do you believe all “gray area” should be eliminated or is some “grey area” good at times?

    Great post,
    Stephanie Coultrip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,
    I really liked this week’s information on graphic organizers; it sounds like you have utilized them often. I on the other hand have not and I find the book’s, as well as your suggestion of coming up with an essential question as the central node. I also find it important to eliminate the “gray areas” of a lesson to ensure the important information is being absorbed. But do you believe all “gray area” should be eliminated or is some “grey area” good at times?

    Great post,
    Stephanie Coultrip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica,
    I, also, think that concept maps are great tools for focusing students on important information. With concept maps, students can find information on their own or in a group and do not need as much teacher guidance. You can, also, have the students discuss their findings after the assignment to expand on their information and increase connections. This will, also, help dispel any misconceptions.
    -Carrie Young

    ReplyDelete