Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

I believe if I act out my GAME plan as I intended, I will hit most of the NET-S. The first NET-S standard addresses creativity and says “Students [must] demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology (National Education Standards for Students, 2007).” When my students use their knowledge about rocks, minerals, and their various properties to design and create a wiki page concerning their personal birthstone, I would say they are demonstrating an immense amount of creativity. They are using their current knowledge, researching new information, and applying it to a brand new technological concept. Not only do they have to master the content knowledge, but groupwork skills, and technological awareness as well; thus covering four NET-S standards (numbers 1, 2, 3, and 6). The fifth NET-S standard that my students would cover is that of digital citizenship. Along with the ever popular and oh-so-important plagiarism speech, the computer teacher and I would instruct how to properly cite sources so that the students as giving credit where credit is due. On their wiki pages they would have a “Works Cited” page and list all of the resources (either internet or book) where they found their information. As they are only in fourth grade, they do not do parenthetical citations, but a list of resources is sufficient enough. Upon reading the NET-S, I feel that they are extremely closely linked with the same NET for teachers, and as good teachers if we cover our own standards we will cover (or mostly cover) the student standards. With slight tweaking, we can hit them all. Although I don’t feel it is necessary to cover ALL NET-T and ALL NET-S in one lesson or unit, it can sometimes work out without seeming forced!






References

National Education Standards for Students (NETS-S) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForStudents/2007Standards/NETS_for_Students_2007.htm

4 comments:

  1. I agree! It does seem easy to cover most of the NETS-S as long as we are acting as good teachers. I see that you have your students list their sources because they are in fourth grade. This is wonderful and hopefull this will allow for them to transition easier into doing MLA or APA citations in the future. I have just taught my seventh grade students how to cite their sources using MLA style, which is in my state standards. You sound like a wonderful teacher. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An idea that some teachers in my school have been working with this year is creating a template for advanced notecards. It basically looks like anotated citations with a bit more information. These templates are part of a wiki style page from google apps. Students are asked to record any source of information that they may find useful in paraphrasing, using as an indirect source, or any quotations. This is the first task that is completed. The page that lists all these sources tend to be long but it can help students understand the process of selecting resources and using them appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post I agree that the wikis allow students to really demonstrate their NETS standards. One area that I still have trouble with students is the citing of sources. It is not a standard iin third grade for them to cite yet, I still introduce them to the concept of beig aware that it is not their work and I have them copy their link and paste it to a resource page. I read Phil's comments and I wilol have to consider the notecard template that he is mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach computer application. It is hard for the students to copy sources that are written the book correctly. I like idea about copy and paste sources.

    ReplyDelete