Friday, June 18, 2010

New and Emerging Technologies Reflection

Throughout this course I have learned of various new and emerging technologies. I have also learned what an emerging technology is. Technology is emerging when it enters into existence and small use somewhere in the world (Laureate Education, 2009). Unfortunately, education is often lagging behind in the world of emerging technologies, letting the business world test and try out new software and reading years worth of beaming articles before adopting it.
At my school at least, I hope to change this. I am fortunate that we have some newer technologies that many other schools do not, such as laptop carts and SMARTBoards. Since the adoption of the latter however, our district (particularly in the elementary schools) have not been on board with spending money on new products. The digital gaming that I have learned about, in particular Kinetic City has so many benefits and potentials for use that I would hope I can convince the PTO, and administrator, whoever to let me test it out with a small population. I certainly understand the hesitancy of administration and parents to test out so called “video games” in school. I have learned however that good digital games are not video games, but an interactive learning experience that can work right alongside the existing curriculum (Deubel, 2006).
I would love to be able to show this to the powers that be, and let them see how amazing and interactive, and especially educational digital gaming can be. If money is an issue (which it always is), I am glad to say that I have found several digital games that are free or cost a nominal fee. This would help me convince people, I’m sure that digital games can belong in school.
I will also stay abreast of the Horizon Report (Johnson, Levine, Smith, & Smythe,2009) and Eduoptia (George Lucas Educational Foundation, 2010), two sources I know that are constantly searching for and reviewing emerging technologies. Staying on top of what is out there may be able to help me show the staff at my school exciting and educational ways to enhance our curriculum.


Deubel, P. (2006). Game on. T.H.E. Journal, 33(6), 30–41.
George Lucas Educational Foundation. (2010). Edutopia. Retrieved June 18, 2010, from
http://www.edutopia.org/
Johnson, L., Levine, A., Smith, R., & Smythe, T. (2009). The 2009 Horizon Report: K-12 Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). New and Emerging Technologies. Baltimore: Dr. Thornburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment