Saturday, January 30, 2010

Evaluating Your GAME Plan Progress

I played around with wikispaces a lot over the past few days. I made myself 2 wikis just to get a feel of what I might use. I made one for this Walden class, and then another one using a free 30 day trial of an educator account. I know my school wouldn’t purchase the educator’s subscription off the bat, but maybe if I make a sample page and show them the possibilities they might consider it. I was concerned that my students would need to have email addresses to write on my wikipage, but I found a way around that. I added 3 fake students using their first name as their username and also as their password. This will make it easy to remember for both of us if there is a problem. I’m thinking of using this wiki idea with our Explorers unit next year. This year we’re trying a webquest, which I was initially excited about. After going through it with my students however, I’m not as impressed as I thought I was with the particular site. I still need to play around more with the wiki. It is taking me awhile to make sample pages, look at them from a student’s point of view, and then think how I can logistically expect nine and ten year olds to complete the tasks. I think that my original plan will still work, I just need to practice myself more so that I am comfortable with everything. Making the wiki has been relatively simple, it is the “teacher stuff” that is taking me awhile.

4 comments:

  1. Erica,

    I am also going to be experimenting with wikis with my students. When I signed up for my WikiSpaces account a few weeks ago, they were offering free subscriptions to K-12 teachers, so I got my account for free. You might want to check out the site and see if they are still running this promotion.

    My husband teaches as well and he uses http://www.wetpaint.com/ and http://www.pikiwiki.com/ to do wiki projects with his students. Both are free sites and are easy for kids to use - the only drawback is that they have more advertisements than WikiSpaces.

    Hope those sites help you! Looking forward to hearing how wikis work for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, It sounds like you and I have been busy create something new. I have also enjoyed my wikis. I am looking for volunteer.

    I believe your 9 to 10 years has a lot fun in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - have you been busy Erica. I am glad to see that you practice with yourself and a few "dumby" students before attempting with your real students. I have used my son as my test student all to often. This year, I have begun to also select about 12 of my average to honor students to "pilot" ideas and programs.

    Piloting with my real students has been greatly successful for engaging honor students and average students who need a little push. Last week for example, I had a student design a sample of an animated atom with SCRATCH from MIT and another student work with the PowerPoint template for a Jeopardy game. Another two of my lower or average students needing a push tried the Wordle (www.wordle.net) activity. All were highly engaged and successful.

    As a teacher I was also able to see how my instructions worked as well as how easily or hard students worked. The other benefit was having some student samples that I could show off. The students were very proud of their work being the introductory model.

    I look forward to hearing more about how your wiki work is going. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if you are doing a wonderful job acquainting yourself with new technology. Once you decide to implement this into your classroom, you will be very comfortable using wikis. What a great ideas to enter three fake students information. Good luck implementing your curriculum into your project. I'm sure it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete