Monday, January 18, 2010

GAME Plan thoughts

To get my GAME plan in gear, I need to research free wikispaces for students, first of all. I found this great “wiki walk through” http://www.teachersfirst.com/content/wiki/ on Teachers First website that goes through 3 main free wikisites: pbwiki, wikispaces, and WetPaint. I’ve used the first before in a grad class and didn’t much like the look of it, I also see my students having a bit of trouble with it. I need to use the comparison tool on Teachers First to decide between the other two and pick one to use. After that, I think that I should share my intentions with both the computer teacher and principal. I already have a class blog, and use it with no trouble, but I always like to run new technology by the administration (one, so they understand it, and two [honestly] to show that I know how to use this technology and it would be great to use with other classes). Being that I would use this wiki for a project in my next year’s class (since I already blew the first application of the birthstone project) I have a lot of time to play around and make a fake wiki. I always test out new technology before showing it to my students so I can get a feel for any difficulties they might run into. I think I will make a fake wiki on a simple topic (one of my favorites is my dog Lily) so that my students can see what their wiki page might look and feel like.

3 comments:

  1. I have used both wikispaces and wetpaint in the past and have had good experiences with both. I find that wikispaces is extremely user friendly and intuitive for the students. We have been using it to create projects for a few years now. Wetpaint seems to be more geared for more professional looking projects and for experienced wiki users. I have run into the problem that wetpaint is blocked by most blockers. I also started using google apps to create sites and have enjoyed success. Our students have been trained on how to use all of these resources (except wetpaint). Once the initial learning curve is gone creating projects and managing them is incredibily simple.

    PB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great plan!! I like your plan involving the administration. It provides them insites. One, it gives the administration a tool view of educational content from another source other than text book. Two, it allows them to view the students actions and responses to the lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Ideas and a Great GAME Plan.. I would say Touchdown for sure. I liek that you ahve been teaching your studnets wikis. That can be a great tool, if you used properly. I use PB wiki with my students. With our new STEMS program we have decided that each studnets will create a web based portfolio and have been usign wikis as the easy tool to create them.

    ReplyDelete